Monday, May 20, 2013

Build a house, build a body...


Bodybuilding has a tainted name. To this day, this is still what generally comes to mind when I think of the term. But let’s re-cap for a second, and break the word down. Body and building. So building your body. Isn’t that what we’re generally after at the gym, anyway? I know I am - I want a strong body, like a carpenter might want a strong house - and I build it. Until Ariz showed me the website www.bodybuilding.com, I wouldn’t even have thought to go near anything like it. And it is, admittedly, a tad over the top. Some of the profiles look ridiculous. But the website’s expert advise, workout programs, and nutritional information are all astoundingly good. 

I’m currently reaping the benefits from a training program that won the competition “What Is The Best Female Bodybuilding Workout?” No steroids or strange, chemical supplements included; it’s a basic program. For building my body. To me, there is something strangely empowering and interesting - almost like learning a trade - to discovering how your body functions pretty much like a machine. It needs oiling and fuel and regular check-ups and security controls - and bodybuilding is the way (I’m almost sure of it) to secure that your body machinery is working properly and needs less servicing than before.


Of course, there are those who go way too far, and ruin the image for the rest of us who just want a healthy and strong body - a well-built one that functions as it should. That’s why I head to the gym six times a week, drink my energy drink, and eat my banana at the end of each workout. Why I don’t mind the utter agony of climbing my mother’s staircases a day or two after my legs have been pushed to their limit. I’m building my body for the future. Kind of like an investment into my own health, and stocks are looking pretty good at the current moment. So here goes, without any excuses or shame: I am a bodybuilder. And it feels pretty darn good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment