Monday, November 26, 2012

Magnificent mother


I think will power is the strongest energy source accessible to humans. It’s unlimited (as long as you fuel it properly), and at times the sole engine in driving you towards your goals. The past week in Bangkok, my will power was in a completely different place than at the gym; I was busy running around the Grand Palace, or Siam Paragon shopping centre, eating street food, and striking bargains at the market. I worked out for a grand total of two (three, optimistically, if you count the 20-minute failure I mentioned in my last post) sessions, and had absolutely no desire to let my will power win over my wonderfully lazy holiday mode. 

My mother is 57 years old. She was the main reason I went to Bangkok, and she is also my top role model in the world. Wanna know why? My nearly three times as old as me mother went to the gym every single day we were on holiday. I was astounded to receive text messages from her at seven in the morning, letting me know she’d already hit the weights and was ready for breakfast with me and Ariz. The health kick is a routine my mum only started a few months back, and I just could not fathom how she managed to get up, work out, and still be the happiest chappy of our travel company. While I divulged in pasta carbonara, chocolate, pizza, pork noodles, and tiramisu, my mother didn’t budge an inch, her most unhealthy dessert being fresh mango with a scoop of ice cream. By doing this, my mum showed me that no matter how old you are, your will power is your strongest weapon of choice. 

The most important thing, then, when deciding to change your life style - cause that is essentially what you’re doing when you start working out on the regular and completely altering your diet - isn’t any cooking book or training program or new trainers. The only way you will actually succeed in your challenge and eventually reach your goal, is by constant, immovable will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment