Sunday, September 2, 2012

Hungry, healthy, happy


So, I started this project a couple of weeks ago, but that was before I went to Bali for five days and completely submerged myself in delicious, fatty, Indonesian food. Totally worth it. But here I am again: square one. Or at least one and a half. 

Me and my fiancé got pretty serious about working out a few months back, and started going regularly to the gym at least two times a week. Even though we’re both health freaks (sort of), we were still eating regular food, which was too fatty, too low in protein, too high in carbs, and just not nutritious enough. Having opposite metabolism systems, my fiancé was losing weight, and I was gaining. 

Now, don’t get me wrong; I do not care what I weigh. I’m 176 cm tall, and weigh 79 kgs at the moment, which any BMI chart would tell you is overweight. My lovely gym instructor, Lou, however, tells me that you really shouldn’t care about the weight; as long as you don’t look obese, you probably aren’t. So when we got back from a six week food splurge in Norway, Ariz and I decided it was time to get serious about health; we started going to the gym three to four times a week, and I was given a full appraisal with an accompanying workout program. Our diet was still a problem, though, and we didn’t really do anything to actively change it. 

Until one night, when I was surfing the web (that is, Facebook), and came across the Ashy Bines bikini challenge. The page was covered in gorgeous before and after shots of girls apparently having tried this amazing diet that worked. I was almost about to buy the 70-dollar Bines starting pack when my critical, web-smart half kicked in, and I eventually found a complete uncovering of this scam. I mean, this chick actually tells girls that lettuce is bad for you, cause it’s high in sugar levels. Not so much, perhaps. What Ashy did mention time and time again, though, was clean eating. 

I googled the term, and discovered the Clean Eating Magazine online, which was full of meal plans and shopping lists. Absolutely brilliant, I thought, and introduced the idea to my fiancé, who was sceptical at first, worrying it was just another unhealthy, weight fixated diet. But when we went to the grocery store to try it out, we both discovered that the ingredients were balanced, healthy, and yummy. When we started cooking with our food, it just got better. 

Back from Bali, now, we’re back on the plan, and I’m so excited about it that I want to share my experiences, from both the kitchen and the gym. For me, though, it’s all about the health; I want to be fit, have a nicely beating heart, eat good food that keeps me going, and feel good, both inside and out. 

This is week one. Hope you'll join me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment